Monday, October 16, 2006

So Sue Me

I haven’t posted in a week. I have been busy okay. I will try and run it down chronological for you. I knew I had a few things pre-planned for Saturday. Therefore, I didn’t plan any Waymarking or Geocaching. I hope to get a good session in soon. I am still planning on hiding a cache. I have that still to plan.

Monday – I don’t remember – too long ago. Tuesday, I got to go outside and play. Well, at least I got to go out Tuesday night and play poker. I am not into it heavily lately. I have played some online here and there. I have only been out maybe twice in the past 2 months to play live. Tuesday night was not much different. I saw the same no life people hanging around living their life around the poker table. I find myself looking at people and wondering about their lives outside of the couple hours that I watch them across the felt. I am truly amazed at the level of conversation that surrounds these people. There is one in particular female that is a regular. As best I can tell, her “real” job is somewhat of a probationary officer. So, I am sitting there waiting for the tournament to start and a dead beat guy and a nice looking but liberal girl walks by. The girl heads for the tables outside. The guy stops and says hi to said probationary officer. Then, standing about 8 feet from his conversational piece, he asked her what the status of his girlfriends bond was. Fair enough, but the 5 ~ 10 minute conversation that ensues is somewhat interesting. I get to listen to the details of the case. Anyway, he has lingered long enough she reenters and pulls him from the conversation. I still wonder if he told her what he was talking about. It came across to me as if he really didn’t care for his current girlfriend. If that wasn’t enough, after he left, the probationary officer for the next 10 minutes tells her guy friend sitting next to her that she has known the guy forever and goes on to tell him about all the crap the boy and his family has been involved with for the past 10 years. Yes – interesting stuff.

In these quick blind tournaments, you have to gain a chip stack early to survive the onslaught of increases. About an hour into the tournament I usually have to make a move or be blinded to death. I am in the same pickle this week. I play tight aggressive poker. The first 10 hands or so, I see pocket paint maybe 5 times. I raise only to see the flop totally miss me and another player play strong at it. That kind of stuff cripples my stack early. About 45 minutes into it, I find myself all in with middle pair. I have Q J and the board holds Ace, Queen, four. I have 4 callers (whatever) and no one has an ace nor improves. My stack becomes healthier. However, the bottom hits. I don’t see anything over a 9 for the next 30 minutes. With me sitting with about 8 X BB, I get JJ under the gun. I am perplexed. I know I should push but UTG? I want a little more information. I call. After 4 other callers, the big blind raises to 400. If I call, that leaves me very little. If I push, it is a no brainer for the BB. I push. The only caller is the BB and she turns over A 9 off suit. (Whatever) She spikes an ace on the flop and I go home.

The rest of the week is busy for the family. I didn’t take many notes so I can’t remember much about it. Friday night I had a date. When you are in your mid thirties married with a child, dates are seldom to never. My wife had a business meeting with a coworker and little one and I made a date night out of it. Oh Yeah, mid thirties with child also limits the number of people you can date. My date was a bright and cheerful 5 year old. Mom’s meeting wasn’t until 7PM so we all went out to eat at the box car café. Little one and I dropped mom off at home and headed out. Our first stop was the bowling alley. Wow, what a racket they have going on these day. It was $24 for little one and me to bowl 2 games. Sure am glad I am not a teenage boy making minimum wage trying to impress a female with those prices hanging over my head. My game was so off. Little one was having a good time. No matter what her ball did, I would smile cheer and give her a high five. I could keep that smile on her face only long enough for her to ask who was winning. With my answer would come the “oh shucks” look. But, she went on in stride. She ended up breaking 50 each game and a high second game score of 76.

After our bowling excursion, little one and I head out for the dollar story. It’s shopping banaza! As long as she thinks her dad is the greatest for buying her a $1.00 doll and a $1.00 doll outfit, I will continue to shower her with gifts. My brakes are finely tuned to the hearing of “Daddy, I need to buy an Abercrombie & Fitch sweater”. That’s when my years of rehearsal of the “get a job” speech will be unveiled in its entirety. We cruise through the stores of BJ’s and Best Buy before heading home. About a week ago, I pulled all my speakers from my passport. I have got the two rear smaller speakers installed. I am having fit problems with the front two.

Saturday morning mom has a church meeting and little one and I get to sleep late. If you call 8:00am with little one jumping on the bed and my head yelling “come on daddy I want to play a game”. I muster up “what game you want to play?” I am hoping for a game that will allow me to go back to sleep. I hear “Clue”. My 5 year old is obsessed with the board game Clue. I think it is awesome. I tend to play dumb and help her through the game. I help her mark what she has, I help her ask the questions and I ask questions I know will giver her more information. I get her on a tangent of a Disney channel cartoon and stay in bed for another 30 minutes.

When mom arrives home a little later we all finish getting ready for little ones elementary school fall festival. Mom and I have signed up to manage the class booth from 11:00am to 11:30am. First off let me give a yell out to all the low life parents for not signing up to help out. Come on guys, you laid down and decided to have children, now get off your backsides and get involved in their lives. Out of a kindergarten class of 27 students, only 4 parents signed up for a 30 minute booth watch. The festival lasted 4 hours. That’s real honorable of you.

The booth was a simple one of stacking cookies. Each person had to use only 1 hand and had 10 second to stack as many cookies as they could without the stack falling over. 0~7 they got a prize from the toy box and over 7 they got a piece of candy. Most children were in the range of 7~9. As I watched these kids, my mind drifted off to chip stacking. I watch for a while and surmised my tactics. Using my superior industrial engineering skills, I recognized the wasted movement. The standard process for all the children was to pick up one cookie and place it into position and then to retrieve another cookie to stack. Knowing that movement waste, displayed my talents to my wife and child once the other children had moved on. I was able to stack 13 cookies on my first try. As far as I know, I left as the champ.

After our booth time, we spent the next 2 hours walking around the festival. There were many games for the children to play. Inside the cafeteria was an interesting basket auction. Being my first year, I was not ready for this. They had some basket of goodies worth over a $1,000 going for much less. Not all were that extravagant. They had college themed baskets. They had golf themed baskets. They had movie night themed baskets. You name it, they had it. I will bring lots of money next year.

Saturday afternoon little one had a tea party to attend. She dressed up in her ballerina costume. I stayed home to sit that one out. The girls were gone for a few hours and that left me a little time to watch some football. I couldn’t watch the Georgia Bulldawg game. To lose to Vanderbilt is like loosing to a high school team. That’s all I can say. Momma taught me if I didn’t have anything nice to say – don’t say much.

Upon their return, it was again time to eat. Little one loves Ce Ce’s pizza. Mom hates it. We settle on going to Pizza Hut. We ordered the family feast and stuffed ourselves. We had pizza for lunch on Sunday and I will probably have enough for lunch twice this week.

No comments: