Saturday, February 24, 2007

Arizona Trip Report - Day 3



Day 3 started much better than the previous day. I did awake around 4:30. However, I rolled over and went back to sleep until 7:30. After the daily ritual of getting ready, we headed down for breakfast. The breakfasts here are hit and miss. Some of the food is good and some is just lousy - speaking from a southerners view. The grits and oatmeal are lumpy - I say that really meaning like kernels are in there. Weird. However, we had biscuits and gravy this morning and it was pretty good. Combine that with some fruit and I was satisfied.


The morning general session passed without much hoopla. My wife had signed us up for a 1 mile walk. Thankfully, she didn’t sign us of for the 5K run. We make good time and finish within 15 minutes. Interesting seeing several thousand people walking and jogging.


After our short walk, they serve us lunch out on the lawn. It was a lunch I didn’t eat very much of at all. I didn’t think it was good idea to serve steak and halibut just after a brisk walk or run. I ate a small steak and called it quits.

We left the group to head upstairs. The day was beautiful and I had Geocaching to get to. I quickly changed and kissed my wife bye and headed out. I stopped at the front lobby and got a ride to Horse Lovers park from one of the town car drivers hanging out in front of the hotel $12 for a 2 mile ride - I am living it up!



Horse Lovers Park (Pheonix, AZ)

I am a little disappointed in the desert out here. It is very plain and nothing special like I had envisioned. I thought I would see a little more wildlife. It may just be the small sampling that I have seen. However, to me a man who grew up in the north Georgia mountains. it doesn’t impress me. I am sure there is much more life underground. I walked about 5 miles again today. This time is was all off the beaten path traveling. I didn’t see a single person once the driver let me out. I did see lots of holes and Burroughs in the sand. I didn’t try and dig any up to see wildlife. I am crazy - but not life altering stupid. I say a few birds and rabbits. I will say they have lots of rabbits out here. If you are a rabbit hunter - retire here and you’ll have lots of busy time.


I did tear a brand new button down shirt. I was traveling towards a cache and chose to crawl under a fence and it snagged on my shoulder. Oh well, Thankfully it was clearance $8.50 at Kohls. I just laughed and kept going. I found that one under the overpass of the 101. I am also surprised at the caches out here. Like I said before, I didn’t see anyone while I was out. And all I found in this wasteland of a desert park were micro’s or mini’s. Have they ever heard of an ammo can? Oh, by the way - do you know how difficult it is to find a mini in the desert bushes?
It was an hour and a half from dinner time and I was almost 3 miles as a bird flies from out hotel. No ride back for me - I would be hoofing it. I started back and made it in about an hour. Of course I didn’t walk a straight line. I had to follow a fence line that surely added at least a mile. I returned to a note in our room that my wife was already downstairs. I showered and made my way down.

After a nice diner and some chat with our table, I have retired to the room. My wife is in a night session and I am typing out this report. I am ending today here with me headed for the soft bed and long nights sleep.



2 comments:

Aaron said...

Moral of the story: Geocachers in AZ aren't any more original than they are in GA?

CarmenSinCity said...

Your wife is so pretty :)