Monday, June 25, 2007

Little One’s Big Steps

Okay – we are overly protected parents. Our daughter is 6 and half and never really stayed away from home other than my wife’s parent’s house just down the road. For 1 night at a time mind you. We don’t let her out of our sight. It tore us from head to toe to leave her at cheer camp for a couple of hours in the hands of strangers.

Last Sunday, my wife and I drove up to Dalton to drop Little One off to stay there for a week. That’s an hour and half away (3 hours if you are grandma stuck on traffic going home – sorry mom). We were pretty cool about it. We are learning to let go. Little One is learning to be without us more and more.

Sunday night, my sister came and whisked Little One away from grandma and took her to spend the night at her house. Little One loves her cousins – they are older boys and she is just in love with them and their girlfriends. Little One was excited. Monday, them and a couple of others went swimming and shopping. I think Little One enjoyed that. Grandma had to work Monday and Tuesday and was sharing Little One around the family.

Little One spends the night back at grandma’s house. Tuesday morning she is shipped to Great Grandma’s house. Great Grandma has her Grand daughter over that is about the same age as Little One. My Uncle is younger than my mother and waiting a long time before having children. They played and played and played. I spoke to Little One on Tuesday night and she sounded really tired. I am sure those two girls had a blast and probably wore my Grandmother out. Tuesday night she again sleeps over at my parent’s house. The earthquake hit then – The next three days are vacation days for my mom to spend with Little One. However, Little One is tired and announces she wants to go home. Being late and all – she tells her they will discuss it the next day.

Wednesday morning is finally my mom’s turn to spend the day with her grand daughter. She takes her shopping and does a few girlie things. Mid day Little One again says she is ready to head home. My mother calls me and we discuss it and decided she can continue her visit with her granddaughter at our house. So, Little One and grandma pack up and head to Atlanta.

Thursday and Friday they spend time splashing around the neighborhood pool and at night we all play board games. Friday afternoon has grandma heading back home trying to beat the Atlanta traffic. She doesn’t beat it but she does have a very interesting story about her trip.

We Georgians were honored or dishonored (your choice) enough to have the Vice President of the United States visit our city. With the Presidential treatment of traffic control on Friday afternoon, the protection giving to him had a mess made of traffic. However, this is where grandma has an interesting story. Seems she was riding along on the interstate and noticed no one was behind her. She thought that very strange. Even more strange, she noticed many police vehicles stretching across the highway behind her with their lights flashing. They were taking up all lanes of traffic and not really catching up to her. She flipped the radio on and caught the news where the V.P. was leaving Atlanta and then things weren’t so strange as they were a little un-nerving for a grandma. She was just outside the rolling road block of security.

Little One has been itching for a Nintendo DS Lite for a while. A couple of girls at church have them. Her cousin has a GameBoy. I told her, if she could raise the money by selling old toys, she could get it. Last weekend we sold her electric Barbie VW bug. Friday night we sold her Little Tykes Kitchen. This raised enough money for her to buy her a DS Lite and 1 game.

So, Friday night we headed towards Douglasville to meet up with the Kitchen buyers and swing by Circuit City to pick up her Prize. I don’t think my wife understands what I was trying to do in teaching her the “economics” of her choices. If she grows up and can wheel and deal to garner things she wants, then good for her. I know we already spoil her. This is just my way of trying to get her to understand that she must sometimes give up something to get something else. I couldn’t help but to spoil her more by buying her a hard carrying case and a 2nd game for her DS Lite. (I am wrapped around her little bitty finger).

Saturday, we headed towards Anniston Alabama. Little One’s youngest first cousin was having his 2nd birthday party. It was a fun time. They had a slip-n-slide and a water slide along with a mini pool. We ate hot dogs and cake. Soon it was over and we stopped by the rest home to visit my wife’s grandfather.

Sunday activities were church and a nap and evening services then lying in bed watching TV until the nap wore off and I was able to fall asleep again. I played one sit-n-go while lying in bed Sunday night. I came in second after getting crippled on maybe the 4th hand. I didn’t feel the winner was a better player. They just caught cards while heads up. I had paint only a couple of times and when I did he had the same paint with a better kicker.

I am happy. Are you?


Anonymous said...

i'm glad you're happy.

so am i, thanks.


2xA+r0n said...

No. :(

I want a Nintendo DS. Daddy?